Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   Join PHA
Site Search
Summit Sessions
Share |


 

SUMMIT SESSIONS

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 12 

VALUE-BASED PANEL

Hospital-Physician Pay-for-Performance Arrangements
Alexandra Higgins
Health systems and physicians are seeking ways to align with one another in order to achieve better quality, gain cost efficiencies, and prepare for the transition from fee-for-service to value-based payments. This presentation will address the latest in hospital-physician pay-for-performance strategies as well as value drivers and compliance guidelines for compensating physicians for their role in these programs.

Bundled Payments: The Slippery Path to Insolvency
Joseph Alhadeff, MD
Dr. Joseph Alhadeff, President of OSS Health in Pennsylvania, discusses the current trends in and dangers of bundled payment initiatives. This presentation will address how bundled payments push hospitals and physicians to act as insurers without being paid like insurers, and provide steps to control the dialogue around value-based care from a health system perspective.

The Upside-Down World of Volume-Based vs. Value-Based Reimbursement
Robert Borchert, MBA
Is there a strategy to value-based reimbursement? Can both the provider and the insurer benefit from the reality of value-based reimbursement? How does one identify a ‘value-based’ service? How do you gather the data to validate a value-based service? These questions and more will be answered during this presentation.

UNLEASHING THE VALUE OF SURGICAL HOSPITALS
David Aguayo
David Aguayo of Surgical Care Affiliates discusses the role of and potential for surgical hospitals, and the value they bring to healthcare in the United States. This presentation will provide insight into the benefits of surgical hospitals and the ways in which they can be effective tools in the healthcare delivery system.

LIGHTNING ROUND I
In this fast-paced, interactive session, peer presenters share an interesting problem they have faced and the solution they identified to address it. Each presenter will have five minutes to present their question, issue, or situation and the solution they utilized. Audience members will have three minutes to ask questions.

A JOINT VENTURE CASE STUDY: A NEUROSURGEON’S PERSPECTIVE ON HOW LIFE HAS CHANGED
Michael Stroup, MBA; Ralph Reeder, MD; and Patrick Richter, MS
Presenters will discuss lessons learned from the 2014 partnership between Dunes Surgical Hospital, Mercy Medical Center, and USPI. Before the partnership, Mercy owned 30% of the facility and physicians owned the remaining 70%. USPI acquired 25% ownership from the physicians. The Mercy/USPI joint venture now owns 55% and physicians own 45%. USPI was brought in to help manage the dynamics between the health system and physicians. Dr. Reeder will provide a seller’s perspective on how the new partnership has worked to successfully enhance the facility’s performance and overall partnership health.

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 13
LEGISLATIVE UPDATE

Denise Henry Morrisey
Healthcare remains a hotly debated issue on Capitol Hill. Get up to date on the latest actions in Congress and hear how PHA is working to provide relief from section 6001 of the Affordable Care Act.

REGULATORY UPDATE
Amber Walsh, JD and Andrea Impicciche, JD
From the perspective of two law firms who work cooperatively assisting physician-owned hospitals, learn about the top legal issues in the industry – from facility expansion opportunities, to physician privileges and contracting issues, to hospital sales trends and beyond!

REAL ESTATE OPTIONS: BUYING AND SELLING PHYSICIAN-OWNED FACILITIES
Anne Hast, DNP, RN and Will Roberson
Rising real estate costs, fluctuation in mortgage markets, or a hospital’s need for liquidity may prompt physician owners to consider the sale of specialty hospital real estate. Anne Hast of Advanced Surgical Hospital (ASH) and ASH’s real estate partner, Will Roberson, discuss the process of such sales by sharing their experiences with successful hospital real estate transactions.

LIGHTNING ROUND II
Executive Summit attendees continue to share interesting problems faced and their creative solutions.

THE MOVEMENT OF CARE FROM INPATIENT TO OUTPATIENT AND ITS IMPACT ON HOSPITALS
Scott Becker, JD
As healthcare continues to evolve, many hospitals are transitioning from primarily inpatient care to outpatient treatment – at increasingly high rates over the last few years. However, many regulations still treat the inpatient engagement as the standard for certifying facilities as hospitals and for payment through Medicare and Medicaid. This presentation will discuss the impact this transition is having on hospitals and health systems and strategies for adapting to new models of care.

 

Sign In
Sign In securely